Thread: Thanasi
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 AM   #11
andfor
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak4tennis View Post
Hmmm, I think..YES...As would John McEnroe @ Stanford, as was the Bryan Brothers @ Stanford, Jimmy Connors @ UCLA, Kevin Anderson @ Illinois, Somdev Devarmann @ VA...

The list goes on and on. There are a lot of articles on the subject but this is the best one. With the average age of a top 100 player in the mid to late 20s. There appears to be a great argument for college tennis for a year or two.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/usopen12/s...nvestment-pros
Reminds me of Malavi Washington. He went to Michigan for 2 years. I remember his father saying he wanted Malavi at a very good tennis school but not a very top program. Thought it was more important to play #1 for development to the pros and have to play the best college players, as opposed to going to Stanford or USC and starting as a #4, 5 or 6 and not always getting the toughest matches.

Todd Martin was similar at Northwestern where he play #1 for two years then went pro. Todd, as opposed to Malavi, I don't believe he went to college with the sole intention of developing for professional tennis. Martin if I recall was only around #18 or so USTA ranking out of H.S. He was a late bloomer and college worked for him.