View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #40
Chas Tennis
Hall Of Fame

The FC150 does a great job showing your serve. You can see the racket orientation very well throughout the serve.

For indoor tennis courts the typical lighting level are only roughly 1% of direct sunlight. The shutter has to be slow to collect enough light. The FH100 has a reputation for doing well in low light. As I recall my FH100 might need shutter speeds of about 1/400 to 1/1000 sec with ISO 3200 and f3.2. I usually will go for a faster shutter speed to get minimum motion blur as long as I can see the arms and racket, that is, I accept dark and less attractive videos.

At exposure times of 1/1,000 sec the motion blur should only be considerable on close-ups of very rapidly moving objects, for fast racket head speeds, etc.. Even then, you might still see what you are after, such as where on the racket face the ball was contacted.

If the FC150 can record at 60p fps and also set 1/1000 sec shutter speed in that mode you can record a match and still do pretty good stop action with 60p fps. Then at any time in your match you can evaluate your strokes, identify the causes of errors, lack of pace on some strokes, etc..

If you really want to get into it and compare your serves to pro serves side-by-side, look into free Kinovea.

So for $90 you got a high speed video camera that is capable of providing analysis of your serve!

Last edited by Chas Tennis : 01-11-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Chas Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote