View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #517
canny
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smasher08 View Post
Canny, despite admitting you were wrong about something, you're still coming across as argumentative and a bit of a bull*******. I don't think that's what you're intending at all, but that's why BK (who is very generous with his advice and knowledge) said what he's said. It's not tough to see his point.

For someone who's done "tons of research" (more impressive if it was tonnes) and read "countless reviews" (I can count well into the thousands before I get bored), you're making some pretty novel and, well, unorthodox choices here. Especially for an authoritative writer who's played with "numerous polys".

I'm not trying to be unfairly critical here, but can you see what I'm getting at?

For someone seeking advice (strange considering the extensive and authoritative knoweldge asserted by your choice of diction) you do seem spectacularly resistant to taking it. And, realistically, your initial choice of gauges in your mains and crosses was probably the precise opposite of what most well-researched players would select.

I do have a fair bit of experience teaching people in their teens, so I'm not too bothered. I'm also fully in favour of letting people experiment and sharing what they learn: that's what's motivated me to start threads like this and keep on going.

You're certainly welcome to contribute here: an open mind and a willingness to learn and take advice are all that is asked for. I apppreciate that you're still learning how to interact with people over 25 on these boards, so don't take this negatively, but those of us who are of a certain age (lol sorry) are pretty good at calling out anyone who we see as trying to convince others (usually badly) that they know a lot more than they really do.

So anyway, even though you're someone who "knows his game" as well as you do (suggesting that he has nothing to learn from others) you're welcome to keep on contributing here, and I'd still love to see some video of your strokes.
I didn't mean to come off that way at all. Im really sorry. But I have read a large number of reviews and other articles. Im still learning and just started stringing (a month) and playing (two years now) so im working with the limited knowledge I have. Which is why my initial test of the yonex and 18g because I thought theoretically it should produce more spin. Also I have played with alot of polys. I've just always strung them quite tight and crisp but as im developing my game, strokes, learning from here and more play time im logging with these hybrids that stringing at lower tensions is better for poly and my game so my initial outlook was a bit skewed. Im just a very experimental and analytic person at heart so excuse my weird choices and presumptions. But im here to learn and im certainly receptive to your advice smasher and others. As i've read quite a bit from the previous pages in this thread and others you guys know your stuff.

Anyways I plan on restringing in the next couple days. Should I just stick with the yonex at a lower tension? Move on and switch to cofocus or prince xp? Once My klip arrives I'll be able to run some more tests in my other stick.

Also that video will be coming soon. Just been a bit busy and forget to film when I play but ill try today.

Last edited by canny : 01-11-2013 at 07:34 AM.
canny is offline   Reply With Quote