View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #23
sureshs
Bionic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisCJC View Post
I fully accept both of these myths as true.

Yes, pros hit most topspin FHs with a sligthly closed face and underspin BHs with a sligthly open face. I doubt they think too much about this as it has become instinct for them.

Yes, you will get more spin if you hit below center as long as the racket is slightly closed.

Both of these indicate you are hitting the ball in the middle or even on top for topspin. You will encounter less resistance from the ball and it will result in more spin.

Isn't there an article in TW Univ somewhere talking about hitting the top of the ball for a kick serve and how it results in the most spin.

Having said I believe in the "myths" and believe that hitting on top results in more spin. I still visualize an approach to the bottom 1/2 of the ball for topspin. Actual contact may not be on the bottom 1/2 but my thought process is on the bottom 1/2. I practice/think "take the hand/strings to the lower half and pull up and across for topspin.
1. I sometimes hit on top of the ball for the serve (usually due to a bad toss), and it does produces top spin, but it feels really weird. There is also a chance of it going into the net. But it can be done. If there is sufficient forward speed, the ball can make it over the net even when brushed over the top.

2. I think the path to the ball has to always be from the lower half, and as you say the eventual contact may be slightly different.
sureshs is offline   Reply With Quote