Thread: A towel too far
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #30
Virginia
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaypunch View Post
I may be in the minority, but I think that ball kids should not have to deal with towels. Leave one at the back of the court or on their chair and let the player be in charge of it. If they want to walk back and use it as part of their 25-sec. that is fine. This way there is no complaining about the ball kids taking too long.

Not to mention that it's not the most pleasant thing for a ball kid to have to handle a sweat soaked towel.
I've thought this for a long time. It's not just sweat either (which in itself can be pretty disgusting), but they sometimes even sneeze or blow their noses into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relinquis View Post
why don't they just keep the towels on a chair/stool at the back of the court. that way, any time wastage is player related and the ball boys/girls can't be blamed.
In some tournaments they do have a box at the back of the court and some players do use it. I think they should have them everywhere and insist that the players stop signalling the ballboys to hand them their towels. Some players are downright disrespectful in the way they do it.

The ballboys are there to look after the tennis balls - not act as personal valets to the players.