View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
neil1b
Rookie

Here it is......first impression.

Current set up is a Babolat 2012 Pure Drive Roddick Plus with Solinco Outlast at 57#.

Racquet used is the new Head Speed Pro Graphene strung with Head Sonic Pro Edge at 55#.

I know many of you are thinking this is a radical change and much different racquet from what I have used but I was looking for more control, but without losing the power and weight of my Babolat.......... well today I just might have found my new stick.

I had a lesson today from a 5.0 Italian pro in the area and was able to rally and play some games for a while with tis new stick.

Mine weighs in at 12.2 ounces strung with an over grip and dampener installed. 5.5 points head light.

First thing I noticed is the racquet swings pretty fast for a heavy stick. Much faster than my plus which is kind of sluggish. This thing feels more like an 11.3-11.5 racquet.

Groundstrokes were amazing. A little less power than my Roddick, but not enough to make me want to change back to hit. This racquet feels extremely solid at contact and it has a much larger sweet spot than the previous speeds (IG and Youtek). The string bed at 55# still did not feel boardy. This sweet spot rewards you striking the middle to lower portion of the racquet, but hits near the top are very solid and you still have ample power on mishits.

Serves are the same, easy power with a good swing and form. Flat serves had a ton of pace and spin is easily generated with the 18x20 pattern, which in the past has not always been the case.

Returns are very stable and I did not feel and twist when returning heavy balls.

Persons with one handed backhand will love this stick as they seem effortless and the weight of the stick is spot on.

I was not able to do many volleys or touch shots, but will be able to report on that tomorrow.

I know it seems to good to be true, but for me it seems perfect. I am sure others will hate it, but I think most seeking a 12 + racquet with control and power will look no further.

Maybe this is a honeymoon period, only the next week will tell for sure, but I am very impressed with this thing so far.

It gives me everything I wanted that the Babolat could not with only slightly less, more controllable power.