View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Default Come on, let's go! Or not.

I was playing social mixed with a singles player guy I didn't know well. This was our conversation as I stepped up to serve.

Partner: "I think we need to mix it up. Here's the plan. If I'm not going to poach, I will say, 'Come on, come on!' If I'm going to poach, I will say, 'Come on, let's go!' So before you serve listen for me to say 'Let's go!'"

Cindy: "Um . . . So if you say 'Let's go!', that means you are poaching, so I'll serve and cross behind you."

Partner: "No. If I say 'Let's go!', that means I'm going to poach, but if I don't think I can reach the ball then I won't poach so you don't have to cross."

I take up my normal position at the baseline and start bouncing the ball. I hear a chorus of "Come on, come on, come on!!" I look up and see my partner standing on the service line. I serve, returner puts the ball into partner's body, love 15.

I get ready to serve and I hear chants of "Come on, come on, let's go, come on." Partner is standing on the service line, shaded toward the alley. Wow, how is he going to poach from way over there? Should I stay back or come in? Where should I serve in this bizarre situation? DF. Love 30.

Next point, I hear a bunch of noise and can't wrap my brain around it. Did he say "Let's go," should I ask him to repeat the chanting? Screw it, I just serve and stand there. He didn't poach, so it must have been a "Come on" and not a "Let's go!" We lost the point, love 40.

OK, gotta get serious now. I get ready to serve and I hear "Let's go, let's go, come on!" Partner is standing on service line, oy. I serve, he takes off to cross, returner hits into his vacant alley, which I didn't cover. Game to receivers.

There's gotta be a better way!