View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #59
jamesblakefan#1
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle Queen View Post
Hmmm, dare I enter the fray?

Like volleygirl, I'm also of the female persuasion. She obviously has both a love and history of the game, as do I. I was a 20-year season ticket holder at a very prominent AAA ballclub, have seen many "stars" both before and "after" their careers...and damn-near followed The Game since Johnny Bench and The Big Red Machine strutted their stuff.

The BBWAA rarely votes anyone in on their first go-round. Less than 50 men....EVER....out of the 1000s of men who've ever played professionally, were tapped in at first chance and they, quite literally, are the Who's Who of Baseball. Anyone who has ever followed The Game knows their names.

This year's crop, with perhaps the exception of Clemens (IMHO) were....ehhh. Bonds was a good but nothing spectacular, almost airhead, outfielder...first with the Pirates then shuffled out to SF. The 'roids clearly made a difference in his at-plate performances. Otherwise, he'd be in the same category as guys like Piazza or Biggio. Solid, even stellar...but not necessarily HOF-worthy.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about with Bonds. He was named by noted baseball writer Bill James as the best player of the 90s, and this was before PED. In the same class as Griffey, who's definitely 1st ballot. 8x Gold Glover in the 90s, 8x All Star in the 90s, 3x MVP again, in the 90s, only guy ever w/ 500 HRs & 500 steals. Most of his non-HR accomplishments were pre PED, and he was definitely a HOFer before he even touched the stuff. And you have the audacity to say he's 'ehhh'? What are you talking about?

You're gonna tell me right now that Barry Bonds isn't better than Paul Molitor? Or Dennis Eckersly? Wade Boggs? Don't get me wrong, those guys were great, but Bonds is on another level of those guys, PED or no PED.
jamesblakefan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote