View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Sid_Vicious
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodSmooth View Post
I get what your saying about the Americans but you take that back.

Monfils can rip his backhand, and has one of the most heaviest and consistent backhands when he's on.

Tsonga can rip his backhand to on a regular basis.

Ferrer can hit a decent solid backhand consistently.

All three have well above ave rage backhands just not the best.
I am not taking anything back.

Monfils does not have a great backhand. Heaviest? utterly ridiculous. Consistent? Yes, it is, but that is where the strengths of his backhand end. His backhand is much weaker than his forehand and even on slow surfaces like clay, players with huge forehands can easily dictate play by attacking his backhand.

Yes, Tsonga can rip his backhand on a regular basis, but that does not mean he has a great backhand. He is stiff as a board when he makes contact with the ball; he has to muscle his way through the contact zone to get decent pace. A lot of the times he hits the ball 10 feet out. His backhand is not impressive to say the least.

Ferrer has a decent and solid backhand. He gets an A+ for consistency, but that does not mean he has an "above average backhand". The guy would be willing to take a bullet in order to hit a forehand over a backhand.

What I find interesting is that you seem to think Monfils, Tsonga, and Ferrer are "above average" compared to the American players. If you think Monfils, Tsonga, and Ferrer have above average backhands, then so does Andy Roddick. Roddick did not have great technique, but he did hang into rallies throughout his career like Ferrer and Monfils do.And just like Tsonga, Roddick could also step in and crush the occasional 100 mph backhand winner with his stiff-armed swings.

Last edited by Sid_Vicious : 01-13-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Sid_Vicious is online now   Reply With Quote