View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #2269
FedericRoma83
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lobb View Post
Without a source? Bobby and I reconstructed the scores for the 1957 tour. Hoad won the European head to head against Rosewall 6 to 3, and won the South African tour. Look at McCauley for a start.
I've also seen you contesting a lot of McCauley and Bowers statistics in the past, without providing any source, and now you say "Look at McCauley", it sounds funny.

Quote:
US Pro was NOT a major, not even an accreditied tournament title, And THAT'S a fact, documented on the USPTA website. Sorry.
Couldn't care less about the USPTA. Even the Australian Open was nominally a Major in 1976 but nobody considered it a big one. In the 50s the US Pro was called World Pro and it often had really strong fields, that's enough.

Quote:
The three genuine biggies in 1958 were Kooyong, Forest Hills, and Roland Garros, and Hoad beat Gonzales in all three tournaments.
There was a points system which counted all matches towards a bonus money pool. Hoad won in both 1958 and 1959.
The only Major Hoad won was ToC 1959, deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lobb View Post
Hoad was clearly out of shape in the period 1960 to 1963, just read Peter Rowley's description.
In October 1962, negotiations concluded for Laver to turn pro, and Hoad was excited to meet him on court. Hoad spent eight weeks training and preparing for five-set matches.
This was an exception for Hoad's post-1959 career.
Hoad was always out of shape, in 1958 he had big troubles too. His only season with a relatively good health was 1959. I don't see how this can affect the consideration of Ken Rosewall or Pancho Gonzales or whoever...
FedericRoma83 is offline   Reply With Quote