View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #503
Wegner
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by treblings View Post
i actually like the fact, that you post the same things more than once. much like a teacher would expect to make certain points over and over, till the student can relate to it

i am interested in something different. i was a very big fan of Bjorn Borg in my youth, and would lik to know, what your focus was in coaching him and getting his game back in shape. i assume you weren´t there for his match against Arrese in Monte Carlo but for the later comeback that he did.
Treblings, I reposted this article as an interesting viewpoint on racquet angle at impact, which was the latest point of discussion at the time. Thinking of the edges of the racquet makes you much more aware of the angle than if your focus on the angle of the center of the strings.

The Arrese-Borg match was in 1991, and definitely a disaster. That is why I was asked by Bud Collins and the owner of the Colony in Longboat Key (Sarasota) in January 1992 if I would work with Bjorn, which I very willingly did for close to a month.

The main focus was regaining his strokes, which he had lost (woud you believe he had changed to a forehand Eastern grip?), and his timing. It wasn't difficult once I reminded details of what he did at his prime. The famous match in the Wimbledon final with John McEnroe and how Borg (per his own recollection) saw the ball very slow (the Zone) was a good clue to regain his game. So was his topspin and height over the net and the fact that in that fashion he rarely missed.

Bjorn was so tuned-in by February 20th, 1992, that in a practice with Pete Sampras indoors on hard courts he lost 7/5 7/6 with two set points in the second set. He told me at the finish: "Oscar, I have so much time now". That was the time he gave me a quote and permission to publish it, which is in the cover of my 2005 McGraw-Hill book.