View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #4817
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

OK, here is my review in the TW format of the Tier One Triumph 16. Thank you to Tier One for sending me a sample to test.

I have to mention a few caveats in this review. I bought a used Exo Tour last month and I just cannot seem to get the weighting to match the other 3 I bought from TW a few months ago. Combined with a healing wrist injury, I've not played well since using this racket and that definitely has soured me on all the strings I've playtested the past month. Just keep that in mind as you read the review and assess the ranking I give this string.

This was really easy to string up. If I had to guess, I'd say this is Micronite with a different coating.

Tension it is strung: 50 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Discho Microfibre 16
Racket: Prince Exo3 Tour 16x18
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 18
Power (or lack there of): Medium powered multi
Feel: Great
Tension maintenance: The string lost 12.3% tension over the life of the playtest.
Price: $12.95/set, $179.00/reel.
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: This string feels very similar to Micronite/Microfibre my favorite multi to date. The coating is a little different and I'm guessing that is the reason I did not like this string quite as much but it could be due to a slump I'm in too

Serve/Return of Serve: I did not seem to any aces with this string which is kind of strange. Second serves were nothing special. Returns were OK.

Strokes: Average spin on both wings. Depth control was my big downfall with this string. I just could not seem to get it dialed in. Slices are pretty good with this string.

Volleys: This string is better than average at net.

Touch shots: Excellent! Drop shots and drop volleys were consistently finding the mark.

Softness: The string feels pretty soft.

Tension: I'd probably string this a few pounds tighter if I could do it over. We are experiencing temperatures in the 80s during this warm spell and I think that has something to do with my control issues.

Durability: I think I got about 7 sets of singles and 2 sets of doubles of playtime with it. The string has not broke yet (it is very close to breaking), but I think I'm going to retire my racket.

Movement: String movement was about average.

Conclusion: This string looks a lot like my favorite Discho Microfibre in terms of construction. I'm pretty sure I would have liked it a lot better in my stock racket. The feel when you hit the sweetspot is outstanding but when you mishit every other shot, the strings can't bail you out. So that is why this string is getting a higher ranking than you might think based on my review.

Last edited by mikeler : 01-14-2013 at 08:42 AM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote