View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #505
julian
Hall Of Fame

Default Serve NOT scalable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_Smith View Post
^^^Appreciate that TCF, what I am interested in is how "scaleable" his "system" is - in other words how applicable is it at higher levels and what needs to change or have a different approach accordingly. Plus, Oscar still seems to take a more "holistic" approach than others, hence my comparison to Jez and his style of approach. The talk is often around his work for beginners ("Tennis in 2 Hours" etc), but I am interested in the work he does with, as you say, top juniors and pro's.

That's why I would be interested to hear Oscars thoughts on my points above.

Cheers
Greetings,
I believe Bruce Elliot has a recent paper on the subject why serve is NOT scalable.
I did NOT see the full paper,I believe I saw an abstract
Regards,
Julian
The Effect of Age on Discrete Kinematics of the Elite Female Tennis Serve.
David Whiteside, Bruce Elliott, Brendan Lay, Machar Reid
School of Sport Science, Exercise and Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, and also the Sport Science and Medicine Unit, Tennis Australia, Victoria, Australia.
Journal of applied biomechanics (impact factor: 0.76). 12/2012;
Bookmark
0 0

0 Bookmarks
Edit
Abstract
The importance of the flat serve in tennis is well documented, with an abundance of research evaluating the service technique of adult male players. Comparatively, the female and junior serves have received far less attention. Therefore, the aims of this study were to quantify the flat serve kinematics in elite pre-pubescent, pubescent and post-pubescent female tennis players. Full body, racket and ball kinematics were derived using a 22-camera VICON motion capture system. Racket velocity was significantly lower in the pre-pubescent group than the two older groups. In generating racket velocity, the role of the serving arm appears to become more pronounced after the onset of puberty, while leg drive and 'shoulder-over-shoulder' rotation mature even later in development. These factors are proposed to relate to strength deficits and junior players' intentions to reduce the complexity of the skill. Temporally, coupling perception (cues from the ball) and action (body movements) is less refined in the pre-pubescent serve, presumably reducing the 'rhythm' (and dynamism) of the service action. Practically, there appears scope for equipment scaling to preserve kinematic relevance between the junior and senior serve and promote skill acquisition.

Last edited by julian : 01-14-2013 at 11:26 AM.