View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #27
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beernutz View Post
That's why I don't use signals at all for poaching. Poaching effectively imo depends on the server being able to serve the ball into the center of the court near the T and there are too many servers at 3.5 and 4.0 who can't do that. Heck, most of the benefit I see of poaching and fake poaching is generating UEs and weak returns by putting doubt into the mind of the returner about where exactly the poacher will be.
I think signaled/planned poaches are awesome. Honestly, I think it works better at the 3.5/4.0 level than opportunistic poaching.

Many players are afraid of being burned DTL if they poach or are not confident in being able to reach the Xcourt ball. So they go the whole match parked and never poaching.

Signaling frees the net player from worries about the DTL shot. It lets the net player take off a little earlier in moving toward the center if she wants. And it takes away that moment of indecision about whether she should or shouldn't take this or that ball.

Not to mention how it gets into the returner's head and they start wondering more what the net player is doing rather than what they should be doing.

So signaling has its place, IME. If done correctly, anyway.