View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #32
tacou
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelie Mauresmo View Post
I feel the same way about Venus Williams as I do Hewitt their time has PASSED. Hewitt is no longer a slam contender the man does NOT need the money why subject himself to this humilation of losing to younger players? I don't get it.

All of Hewitt's rivals expect Federer are GONE. Roddick, Ferrero, Safin, they retired they knew the writing was on the wall if they aren't winning no point in playing.

Venus Williams same thing, she's going to be knocked out by Sharapova if they meet in the third round. Why do it? Venus and Hewitt are multi millionaires they don't need the money. They are tarnishing their legacy.
Hewitt hasn't been a slam contender since the 05 AO. But h's had deep runs, classic wins and great upsets. As we all say (including top ranked players like Tsonga and Berdych) there are only 4 guys competing for slams. Everyone else should retire?

I especially feel differently than the bolded parts. If you aren't winning majors anymore you should simply give it up? They've been playing since age 3-4, it's a huge decision to give it up. And these are adults we're talking about and their careers. Unlike a lawyer or doctor or whatever, you can't just keep going. Once you hang up the racket you are no longer a pro player and you never will be again.

For Venus specifically, why would she not want to face Maria Sharapova in the third round of the Australian Open...beautiful stadium, beautiful country, amazing fans and a world stage. You really can't conceive of why she'd want to compete even if she is no longer the favorite to win?
tacou is offline   Reply With Quote