View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #51
Hominator
Hall Of Fame

Default My X10 mid Review

Sorry guys, this whole work thing is getting in the way of my tennis!

For reference, I've previously played with the PB10 mid and X10 325 on and off for about a year. My current stick is the Dunlop Biomimetic F 3.0 Tour. The X10 mid prototype I hit with was the eventual production model, strung with Volkl Vfeel on a constant pull machine at 55/51.5. I'm a former college player from back in the mid-nineties.

My initial impressions of the frame:

The X10 mid plays pretty much how I expected it to play, when I heard of its development about 2 years ago. If you are familiar with Volkl's other Organix frames, such as the X10 325, you'll know what I mean, as the Organix material creates a very firm and stable hoop with little to no flex.

Compared to the PB10 mid, the new X10 mid is more stable and hits a heavier ball. The "flutter" or "wobble" that was prevalent on the PB10 mid is completely gone. The sweetspot continues to be large and forgiving and makes the frame play like it has a bigger head size.

My impression is also that the X10 mid moves a little slower through the air. This isn't surprising since the PB10 mid moved VERY quickly through the air. Not sure if this is due to a change in balance or not. The feel on contact, however, is very different from the PB10 mid. The X10 mid feels very much like the other Organix racquets in Volkl's line - solid with very little vibration to the hand. I personally like the Organix feel - it feels very clean on contact. Others, especially those who prefer the "traditional Volkl feel" may need some time to get used to this new feel.

The X10 mid is a very solid stick. If you drive the ball with spin from the baseline, this frame is a beast if you can keep your bat speed up, due to its weight, smaller head size, and stability. This thing hits a heavier ball than My PB10 mid, X10325, and Dunlop Biomimetic F 3.0 Tour, hands down. I'm preparing for some tournaments the first part of the year, so I'm not switching frames. But I'm definitely going to pick up a couple down the road.

I'm going to reach out to one of the Volkl US playtesters of this frame for his thoughts. When I receive them, I'll post them as well.

Hope this helps! Please feel free to ask any specific questions.
Hominator is offline   Reply With Quote