View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #96
El Zed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJack View Post
This quote from the OP's opening post, Paragraph 4:

Aha! there's the rub. Differences in racquets don't typically account account for +5 to +10 differences in MPH. Even if you were to edge all possible parameters... head size, flex, mass, swingweight, length, string type, string tension, into the power friendly zone you'd be hard pressed to create a 10 mph difference in ball velocity.

Here is a Riddle : How fast does the tip of the racquet the need to be traveling in order to hit a 100 mph serve?

Hint: If the answer is about 60 mph, then we can say the players arm gets the racquet to 60, the racquet does the rest, and there is much to gain or loose with careful racquet selection. However if the answer is closer to 90 mph, then we can say that most of the speed of the serve comes directly from the players arm, and there is very little room for improvement with regards to max mph and careful racquet selection. Any guesses?

-Jack
Jack - are you really saying an APD or PD doesn't afford you more shot velocity, on a consistent basis, relative to some beloved classics - for instance the Vacuum Pro 90? I'm not talking about the seemingly rare perfect swing where the stars align, but normal "stressed" shots that are common place if not the norm during a match. Anecdotal perhaps, but a greater margin for error and a more lively stringed simply has an effect in my game. Now whether its 1 additional mph or 10, it's all relative and subject to how you want to delineate it relative to other factors. But if you wanted to win, and aren't forced to sacrifice control, added pace is surely an advantage.

Where the APD falls flat, to me, is that you never have this sensation of absolutely crushing a ball from the baseline - unlike say the PT280.
El Zed is offline   Reply With Quote