View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #75
BirdieLane
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhollines View Post
Thanks TCF. Of course, by no means do I have the answers but this is the saddest sport I've ever been involved with . . . if she didn't love this morbid sport, I'd sell her rackets tomorrow . . .

I may end up dead wrong but my wife and I decided to build her tennis program around her smile and love with the overall goal of developing her game (physically, mentally and technically) . . . that's it . . . for us, once we started doing that, we ended up doing crazy things that have nothing to do with points and rankings . . . it has been sobering b/c once we mentally separated and quit complaining about the overall U.S. junior tennis structure and just focused on what's best for her, the answers started to become pretty clear (for her) . . .

but, it's hard not getting sucked back in hence why I stay completely away from basically all tennis parents . . . almost all my daughters friends have nothing to do with tennis (and it has been so healthy).
No way you are dead wrong if you are growing her passion while striving to give her such a stimulating and healthy environment and she's loving it and making continuous improvement. Great job and great perspective. (And I also agree in many ways with your 'saddest' sport impression.)

FYI, we are very similar to you, just a few years down the road. We live in snow state (indoor and no talent depth), just getting into 16s.

My kid is a Clone B path and while she splits her time with another sport, the result is a very fresh and hungry mind. No injuries. And athleticism that is a feature of her game.

So yes, you can definitely find your own path and compete at the very top without being in FL or going to an Academy at age 12.