View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #57
President
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudwell View Post
If Del Potro is using some sort of performance enhancer, then I sure don't know what for. He's one of the least muscular guys on tour and his fitness and ability to recover from one match to the next is middling. Sure, he hits big, but he's got a lot of leverage with that stature. Not to say I wouldn't be surprised if he was doping because I wouldn't be surprised if any top tennis player was doping, but he's certainly not one of the most likely candidates, I would think. And also, Del Potro didn't have a dramatic breakthrough in quite the same way that Berdych or Soderling did. They were both established tennis players who for years had been in the top 50 to top 20 range and then made a slam final and established themselves firmly in the top 10. Del Potro was still very young when he won his slam and made a very visible progression into the top ten in the year leading up to that.
My point wasn't that Del Potro or Berdych are the most obvious dopers (they aren't) but that they are not above suspicion. If so many players are indeed doping, do you really think non doped athletes could be competitive with them? Del Potro's fitness isn't amazing but maybe it would be much worse without PEDs. I remember earlier in his career it was absolutely terrible, now he can go 5 sets with Ferrer and Federer on clay!
President is offline   Reply With Quote