View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
chatt_town
Hall Of Fame

Don't think you need to read any futher than this. well...I'd like to add this...play plenty of practice matches and don't get caught up in winning and losing. Learn to be able to hit your shots correctly. Personally, I think you can watch a number of Youtube videos and get the basics...when I say youtube. I mean you can watch slowmos of Fed hitting a one handed backhand and listen to the instructors...then go and practice and play practice matches. That will cut down on the lessons. I can't begin to tell you how many people's @$$ I've beaten that religiously take lessons. You also need to develop court awareness. Learn where the the next ball is probably coming back to before you hit your shot. That keeps you ahead of your opponent. Last but not least...learn that the match starts before the match. Meaning I pay attention to if the person is left handed...where is the sun and how can I use this to my advantage. Case in point...Before we even struck a ball in our mixed match last week...I told my wife the guy was left handed...she didn't hear me and half way through the first set I she asked me if I noticed.lol I told her that's why he's serving from the other side(Where the sun was in his eyes). He also didn't know you had 3 choices when he won the toss. He chose to serve...so I switched sides making him serve looking directly into the sun. Now if I hadn't paid attention to that he would have been kicking us off the court all evening. We played 3 sets and we won the first and the third sets....the match starts before match. Pay attention and use every advantage that you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmatheis View Post
#1 - Keep your eyes on the ball - I know that sounds simple but they first key to hitting well is making good contact, and if you take your eyes off the ball before you hit it, even if it's just an instant before, you will mishit more often. So don't worry about where your ball is going, keep your focus on the hit.

#2 try to hit the ball a little bit in front of you. This will also help with #1

#3 footwork - keep your feet moving. Nadal is a good example of this. Get to where you need to be to hit the ball as early as you can but dont just set your feet once there. Keep them moving so you can adjust for a funny bounce etc.

Get some lessons, I think a mix of private and group lessons is beneficial.

Try to play at least twice a week, more if you have the time.
chatt_town is offline   Reply With Quote