View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
10isfreak
Semi-Pro

We may also have in mind that amateur players might face different challenges than pro players. Sometimes, it's irrelevant... when something produces better results with less efforts, there is no point in arguing over different circumstances leading to different outcomes.

However, when the results may be good or not depending on the situation, it is worthwhile considering which means better suit the goal which we pursue.

SMALL NOTE ON THE ONE HANDED BACKHAND
I have recently revised my conviction that the one handed backhand was a necessary disability at the amateur level because of several key distinctions that would apply as well to the women's tour while not applying to the men's tour. Namely the difficulty for the vast majority of amateurs to hit heavy and high kicking balls consistently...

Moreover, if you ever watch a court-level match on the ATP tour, the number of really high balls is a lot lower than what you might expect. Exception made of rare birds like Nadal, the average contact eight on the tour is slightly bellow the shoulders, which is more manageable than I would have expected.

Some players and former players predicted the fall of the one handed backhand while others responded that it was a cultural shift, not necessarily driven through material conditions. Salzenstein even predicted years ago that Federer would never get back to the pole because of his backhand, which he did at 30 years old, before loosing it at 31.

Maybe we are facing a grave misapprehension. Your thoughts?
10isfreak is offline   Reply With Quote