View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #541
FrisbeeFool
Rookie

Another question for Oscar: I heard people say that Jimmy Arias tinkered with his grip when he made the transition from higher bouncing courts to lower bouncing courts or vice versa one season, and after he tried to change back to his original grip he could no longer hit his forehand as well. I've also heard people blame the transition from wood to graphite for the demise of his forehand.

Oscar, what would you say Arias's forehand issues were, if any. Do you think your methodology could have helped him fix his issues.

As far as the development of the modern forehand, I've heard people say, Arias played a big role in it. I believe Arias was coached by his dad and trained at Bolletieri's. I read an interview with Jim courier, where he talked about trying to copy Arias's forehand and how Aria influenced other young players like Courier.

Oscar I know you've said many times that the American coaching establishment is holding people back with it's emphasis on traditional techniques. Many of the American coaches I've seen seem to teach the modern game, just in a different way than you. What are your thoughts on Arias, Boletieri's or img or whatever it's called now and the development of the American forehand. Is your Issue with the American coaching establishment, that they're not coaching "the modern forehand" or that they're not teaching your version of the modern forehand.

Are you issues with the American coaching establishment purely related to technique? Is ego involved as well? Part of your issue seems to be that you believe you should have more personal credit for the development of the modern game. We've all seen your segments of ESPN and clearly they influenced people and played a role. But a lot of other hard working coaches and players also played a role in changing the game and the way it is taught.

If the key figures in the American coaching establishment have it all wrong, why do so many accomplished foreign players come to train in Florida, and southern California?

How are American coaches on the wrong track if they're developing modern players like Sam Querrey and Jack Sock and Christina Mchale?

Last edited by FrisbeeFool : 01-16-2013 at 01:49 PM.