View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
TomT
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
I'm a 3.0 player and I use relatively heavy racquets. I've been working on my serve, which I'm hitting pretty solid now. More recently, I have switched my ground stroke grips and I am hitting a really solid TS forhand. My backhand still needs another grip change.

The problem I've noticed is that my power was already above 3.0 level with an eastern forhand and two handed backhand. My regular partner is at least 3.5 and he always beats me. I'm wondering if I continue to work on my strokes will it seperate me further from the 3.0 sector, and if perhaps I should slow down on technique improvement and spend more time playing other 3.0s? There isn't much of a tennis culture here in Boston, so most of the time I find myself grinding on skills, which is fun in itself, but maybe counter productive.
I'm a 3.0 to 3.25 level competitor also. However, my hitting partners are generally 3.5+ to 4.0+, as most sub 3.5 players don't hit solid shots consistently enough for good hitting sessions.

Why slow down on technique improvement? That doesn't make any sense to me. Practice with better players, grind on skills, join a league[*], and play matches at your competitive level. As you improve and win more matches, your rating will go up and you can compete in league play against ever higher rated players.

My excuse ( ) for being a 3.0 competitor with 3.0 + strokes is that I'm typically twice as old as the people I play against, as well as being relatively inexperienced re total court time in my life. I've been sidelined for the past two weeks with a Crohn's disease flareup, but was improving before that, and I hope to continue to improve when I'm able to get back on the court again. I have no problem with bageling 3.0s and will continue to work toward being able to do that on a regular basis.

----------------
[*] I'm a member of Tennis Fort Lauderdale (tennisftlauderdale.com) which is affiliated with Tennis League Network (TLN). TLN began in Boston about 8 years ago and is now in several dozen metro areas. Check out Tennis Boston (tennisnortheast.com).

Last edited by TomT : 01-16-2013 at 08:49 PM.
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote