View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #575
Povl Carstensen
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshs View Post
Yes, across is much better than yank or pull in as it is more accurate.
I was talking about across as opposed to backwards (which seemed too be your implication of in), not as opposed to pull. For a more detailed explanation I am more in agreance with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhupaes View Post
I think what some folks are finding difficult to grasp is that the pulling in, which happens close to contact, is a composite action that incorporates up, across, and forward movement. It is simply a result of the human anatomy being what it is...
And:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Incorrect.
You can pull across with any type of forehand. Oscar talks about bicep usage but there are other ways to do it. You can pull across with a minute change in torso rotation or a slight adjustment in tension in some part of the body such as the shoulder or hip or by a change in the amount of bend in your knees. You can even do it using the tilt of your shoulders or any combination of the above. Any such change during the swing no matter how small increases rhs considerably.

Many people don't get this because they've never tried, or they won't try because they don't believe it or they don't want to change or because it challenges the method's they were taught since the beginning or because they can't see it because it's usually not a big move.

The fact is it works. Not everyone does it and not everyone who does do it does it on every stroke. Pro's need every ounce of advantage they can get. A one inch tug here or there give or take that will increase rhs and spin will be utililized.

Here's one player who does it on a larger scale that is easier to see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-4ssvjz1Sg&t=2m05s

watch it for a few mins
As you wrote yourself:
Quote:
Pulling across yes, but not pulling back
Quote:
The complication is with players like Fed and Nadal who can swipe the ball sideways for side spin, which a door cannot do.
I think many more players can do this than Federer and Nadal.

Actually I think swiping the ball is very descriptive of a typical modern forehand. It is a happy medium between hitting squarely, and brushing. And it has no vertical/lateral implications. Plus it sounds right: You ssswipe the ball.

Last edited by Povl Carstensen : 01-17-2013 at 05:32 AM.