View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #7
PDJ
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTURNER View Post
Don't put me in a hospital for saying this, but I think this is the one surface on which her game continued to improve through the late stages of her career, say '84- 88. After that 83' loss to Jordan, she was not really upset on grass courts at all until the day she retired. She lost two semis to someone lower seeded. One to Mandlikova in Wimbledon 86, and to Sukova in Eastborne in '88. Neither is properly viewed as an upset on grass. If you view it that way, she did better on grass than hard courts, carpet or clay!

Physically she got faster and stronger. She got more pop on her serve and any net shyness from her early and mid career wore off. Her relative lack of patience for long rallies with younger baseliners, made her more bold off the ground. It did not necessarily show itself in results, because she kept meeting that damn Czeck girl. but really, her game fit grass better and better until 88-89 than it did when she was winning Wimbledon.
I not only agree with you but recall an article pre wimbledon 1989 which said exactly that (it may have been the wimbledon programme - i have it somewhere & will dig it out) Evert 's best chances were on grass in a grand slam as she handled the surface so much better than most other players & for all the reasons you've listed.