View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #46
TennisCJC
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy_sunset View Post
Seems easy to me.

1. If the ball is traditionally "yours" (forehand/backhand on the ad side, forehand on the deuce side) and you call "mine" then your partner should let you have it. Period.

2. If your partner calls "mine" on an overhead, it's theirs. Don't run back to ensure coverage, because you're going to lose on the next shot due to being out of position. Period.

Keep practicing and trust your partner. Eventually you'll get used to who is most comfortable with what shot. Then the "mine" and "yours" will be more consistent. Personally, I say "yours" a lot more than "mine." But if the ball could be played by either of us, I feel that someone should always say something.

Also, you mentioned it as an example, but you say "she's ad, I'm deuce." Ad player takes most of the overheads. Ad player takes most of the middle balls. So who is "taking" balls they shouldn't be taking?
I agree with most of this ^^^^. Basically, when you or your partner calls a ball they must get the ball and you should be positioning yourself for the next shot.

I call "mine" or "yours" a lot and think a crisp call helps communications.

LeRoy indicates the AD player should take more middle balls, and assuming you are both R handed that makes sense - yield to the FH. But, if the duece player is closer to the net don't hesitate to play the ball down the middle. Vic Braden wrote that there are no sides in doubles and the player closes to the net has dibbs to the ball. The closer you are the more angle you have, the less time your opponents have, and you are more likely to have even a shank or weak shot go into the court.

Maybe talk to your partner and stress that when either of you calls mine the other player will abandon the ball and get ready for the next shot. "Mine" is like a commitment to play the ball and tells you partner to forget about it.
TennisCJC is offline   Reply With Quote