View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
Muppet
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
I'm a 3.0 to 3.25 level competitor also. However, my hitting partners are generally 3.5+ to 4.0+, as most sub 3.5 players don't hit solid shots consistently enough for good hitting sessions.

Why slow down on technique improvement? That doesn't make any sense to me. Practice with better players, grind on skills, join a league[*], and play matches at your competitive level. As you improve and win more matches, your rating will go up and you can compete in league play against ever higher rated players.

My excuse ( ) for being a 3.0 competitor with 3.0 + strokes is that I'm typically twice as old as the people I play against, as well as being relatively inexperienced re total court time in my life. I've been sidelined for the past two weeks with a Crohn's disease flareup, but was improving before that, and I hope to continue to improve when I'm able to get back on the court again. I have no problem with bageling 3.0s and will continue to work toward being able to do that on a regular basis.

----------------
[*] I'm a member of Tennis Fort Lauderdale (tennisftlauderdale.com) which is affiliated with Tennis League Network (TLN). TLN began in Boston about 8 years ago and is now in several dozen metro areas. Check out Tennis Boston (tennisnortheast.com).
Thanks for the tips Tom. I looked into Tennis Northeast about a year ago, but I found that I would need a car to be able to meet people for matches all around Greater Boston. I decided a couple of years ago not to keep up the expense of a car as I can get anywhere I need to go on public transportation. I guess Tennis Northeast is not a need for me. My budget is a lot more comfortable without carrying a car. When the outdoor season picks back up in May, I'll look for some more organized tennis to join.

I hope your Crohn's gets better soon.