View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
adidasman
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXXply View Post
IIRC, in the retail fashion world there is a whole sub-industry devoted to the forward planning of global colour trends in apparel. A fashion bureau in Paris or somewhere carefully decides what will be the hero colours in (x) years time. They then mobilise all the world's garment dye resources towards those ends so that in 2016, for example, every mass market clothing retailer on Earth will feature the same colour. Others feel free to correct me on this. I recall lime green and tangerine were popular colours back in 1992 or so.

My biggest complaint is the collective amnesia that sets in every year just before Wimbledon when every company unthinkingly issues plain white clothing to their pros. They forget that colour is permitted to be used on Wimbledon attire. They think Wimbledon's playing attire must be white without exception, when in fact it is merely predominantly white.
I think you might be overstating the Wimby situation; I remember last season (I think), adidas had a great-looking Wimby shirt in ads that never showed up on court, probably because it had a tonal gray graphic on it that the guys at the AELTCC must have shot down. Chances are good the companies go simple because they know they won't have to worry about it being rejected.