Thread: Return grip
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
spaceman_spiff
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelley View Post
I do right hand in normal fh grip (strong E., almost SW) and left hand in normal bh grip (SW fh). With this combo I can punch fhs back with my normal fh grip w/o a grip change, take a big cut and slower balls to my fh, and hit with my left hand in its normal bh grip. I have to do a grip change with my right hand for a backhand, but since my left hand is the dominant hand on that stroke it's OK.

I used to go with a full back hand grip and return hard stuff to my fh with a continental, but I found my current set-up to allow more aggressive returns off my fh.
Same here. Left hand set for backhand; right hand set for forehand. When it goes to my backhand, the grip change on the right is already part of the shoulder turn/backswing, so it doesn't add any time to the swing.

I actually do the same now when rallying. After a backhand, I leave the left as it is and change the right back to a forehand grip. After a forehand, I leave the right as it is and put the left back on the handle ready for a backhand.