View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #22
JRstriker12
Hall Of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to JRstriker12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10isfreak View Post
I'd like to discuss a few issues on the one handed backhand.

Firstly, what sort of take back would be ideal? What pro players seem to have a take back which is easily emulated, which one is a good model for this?

Secondly, is the one handed backhand fit for the modern game? At the pro level, for men or women and for amateurs in general.

Thirdly, whose one handed backhand is the best on the tour? This seems silly to some, but it could be measured... here, the best means, that over infinitely many rallies in all possible conditions, the best backhand would earn the most point out of them all.
1. I'd say take-back depends on the person and what they are trying to achieve. You could probably use a flatter take-back if you drive the ball more, but adding a higher take back and a little loop to your swing might help a bit with topspin.

2. Yes, the one-hander can still be a fit for the modern game. You'll see less of them as more people stick to the two hander. Also IMHO, today's baseline based game and slower courts wouldn't provide the reason to switch to a one-hander like Pete did. I think if we see the add

For the rec player, I don't think it matters that much. I have a one hander and have beaten players with two-handers. In the matches I lost, it wasn't because I had a one-hander, it was because the other guy was better. I think I have a slight advantage when it comes to transitioning and net play in doubles, but then again there are plenty of decent dubs players with two-handers.

3. Best one-hander on tour today? That's tough, I'd say a tie between Gasquet and Stan.