View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #90
treeman10
Semi-Pro

I agree with all of you, it's overstated and it's a problem, sometimes. I know two coaches and am familiar with their cheating techniques. One taught his kid, how to flip 30-40 and when (critical games like 5-4) and even flipping games in a set scores, which shots/balls to call out, etc. He was very proud that he came from a culture that winning at all cost is what matters and didn't mind sharing his strategy with those in his inner circle. A letter writing campaign effectively got them to put this kid on the watch list. Another coach flips his cap to indicate certain strategies at the higher levels, etc. So intentional cheating is out there and it is annoying when your kid is the victim. When it's during the final of a tournament and it costs your kid the match/tournament whether it's the points robbed or the emotional tailspin it send them in can suck. Yes, they need to learn to handle that however, and its a good lesson. Eventually they are at a level where there is a ref at finals or kids don't cheat them. And does it keep a kid from rising to the top? No. It creates bumps along the way and they have to get over those. Sometimes players are in a position where points from one tournament are key to qualifying for something really important, so I do sympathize with the stress of all of this. Better to lose straight out than to feel you were cheated out of it. Just do your best to teach your child not to be a victim on the court, just like in life everyday.