View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Zimbo
Semi-Pro

What was your game plan against the following?
a. Lendl: Very tough if he’s serving well. Have to mix it up. Try to get inside his head. The thing about Lendl was I knew he would always play the same way. It was up to me to adjust.
b. Becker: Make him hit as many balls as possible. Weather conditions, heat, wind etc… plays a big part. Move him around the court. If it was a fast court with ideal condition (indoor) just show up and shake his hands.
c. Edberg: All about if I could handle the kicker to my backhand. Try to get the ball at his feet. Stay away from his backhand and attack the forehand. Playing him at Indian Wells (where the balls really explodes and bounces high), forget about it.
d. McEnroe: Such a genius. Just have to react to what he’s doing.
e. Connors: Didn’t have a problem with him. Just play my game.
-I mentioned his 7-0 record in ATP event vs. his 0-6 in exo against Connors. Answer: “Its only an exo.” He didn’t really care about exo’s. “exo’s are just that, exo’s”
-Connors was the ultimate fighter and competitor. Would do anything to win. Would try to intimidate and bully his opponents.

I loved your plan to get a high percentage of your first serves in (97%) against Laconte in the 88’s French Open finals:
- I think I only missed 2 first serves
- Laconte was dangerous if you give him to many second serves
- He also was dangerous off a flat serve. If I hit a flat one that wasn’t good enough he would use it against me
- Didn’t give him balls to attack, made him play on my terms
- He had to hit thru me to win

Ferrer vs. Chang:
- Not fair question due to it being a generation gap
- Ferrer looks like the superior player but it could be due to the technology and current conditions
- Both has the never say die attitude but I will have to go with Chang because he wasn’t scared of the big boys. He had self -belief that he was as good as and could beat the best.

How would guys with good 1 hand backhands, like Edberg and Becker handle Nadal’s forehand? Could they do a better job then Fed?
- Would never let it happen
- They wouldn’t allow that ploy that Nadal uses against Fed to occur
- You wouldn’t see those rallies. Not just Edberg and Becker, it goes for McEnroe (even though he’s a lefty) also
- If they were to lose they would lose on their terms.
- They would chip and charge, take ball on the rise and attack, slice down the line, attack the 2nd serve, do anything possible to prevent that cross court forehand to backhand exchange
- Not to say they would win but they wouldn’t lose on Nadal’s terms
- Then he goes on to say that’s the problem with being so great and talented (referring to Fed) he could be too stubborn

Yeah but Edberg, Backer, and Mac where great net rushers, how would a natural baseliner like Guga with his 1 hander deal with it?
- It would be tough over time. It would be hard for Guga to always get there in time to set up to hit a clean shot back
- However, that’s a match I would love to see
- Guga had enough firepower to bother Nadal. Good serve and great off both wings. On clay it would be a great battle. Nadal naturally has the advantage but with Guga’s passion and spirit he could do it. At his highest level he would have the inner belief that he could win.

At your ’88 prime could you beat Borg in his prime?
- Yes
- But that’s not to say I’m better or greater then him (another different era scenario) HE STRESSED THIS POINT
- In ’88 I had better training, racquet, the game evolved, I was a lot better and stronger then when I played him in ’82
- Borg was using a wood racquet in his prime
Wasn’t your rossignol essentially a wood racquet too?
- No, it was better then wood
- We don’t know how Borg would have played with a graphite racquet but with a wood racquet (Borg) I would beat him in ’88 with my form at the time
My dream match would see you vs. Borg both in your prime on clay.
- I don’t think anyone would want to see that match
- After the first few games most would get bored and stop watching

When you coached Safin, what was your main goal?
- Have him never to lose to anyone outside the top 10
- Great player, great serve, great off both wings
- Good mobility for a big guy
- Could have done a lot more

’11 Djoker vs. ’07 Fed
- Djoker played at a higher level more consistently throughout the year
- But in a big match against ’07 Fed, Fed could pull thru. Hard to bet against Fed.
- Very close, hard to call who would win. ’11 Djoker just so resilient and clutch.

How different would your game be if you grew up in this era?
- Couldn’t possible say
- Maybe a little like Andy Murray: because he had to learn to be more aggressive
- Does Gilles Simon remind you of yourself?
o No
o I hit with more topspin and tried to do more with the ball
o I tried to find a chink in my opponents game
o Gilles plays the same against everyone and his opponents doesn’t have to worry if he would do something different

Last edited by Zimbo : 01-18-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote