View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
Mauvaise
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
I would not take on a co-captain if you decide to do this. Having someone else involved increases the time burden and communication issues too much.
In my area, starting this season (Spring), co-captains are required.

Personally, I think it's good to have a co-captain to handle line-ups and questions on nights you don't play because captain or not, if I'm not playing, I'm not showing up.

I found captaining my women only team much easier than my mixed. I had 12 people on my 7.0 team, only needed (6) each week and had trouble fielding courts all season and I'm not sure if the captain ever got paid by everyone (I was the co-captain).

Conversely, I had 8 women on my 3.0 team, needed 8 each week and only had to default (2) courts the entire season and everyone paid up promptly the first night we played after the dollar amount was sent out.

Still, it's work preparing the line ups, sending out emails, making sure people confirmed, having your teammate argue with you about the rules when you and (3) other captains swear you know what you're talking about, bringing balls and paying court fees for home matches, recording scores, handling disputes, etc.

I didn't want to captain in the Spring, but no one else stepped up for the women, so I sucked it up. Never again for mixed though.