View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #36
JRstriker12
Hall Of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to JRstriker12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relinquis View Post
for the service returns, what grips do the pros use in preparation for the first and 2nd serves? Again, assuming a one-handed backhander type player.

I usually stay ready with a backhand grip as i know most players that level think they're nadal (they're not) and will attack me there, so i expect it and try to attack their serves and punish 2nd serves. i change to the eastern forehand (i always use eastern on my forehand) to return serves on my forehand side. i stay ready with my backhandgrip, but know others stay ready with their forehand grip (whichever it is).

i wonder what teh pros do. it's difficult to find specific advice on these subtleties as most coaches focus on two handed backhands. my claycourt coach just said hit whatever feels comfortable, but we worked more on my rallying anyway.

thoughts?
Unless the server is jut killing it and hitting corners, I"m cheating over a bit so I hit a FH, so I usually start with a FH grip.