View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Mick3391
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfox View Post
Thinking about the Heather or Laura thread going on, I began wondering which pro (current or former) is best to emulate. Let's say this is for adult rec players who just want a decent game, have fun, play matches occasionally.

It's been said that most rec players don't get beyond 3.5, but they can still aspire to more and adopt role models. Reasonable ones, and by that I mean no aspirations to hit forehands like Nadal-Fed, or serve like Sampras, or return like Agassi.

I say Chris Evert, or perhaps Mats Wilander. Both had steady groundstrokes and high percentage serving.
Fed, get you playing better than you can play. Plus he uses one handed everything, giving more freedom on backhand, more creative shots, creativity is key, not robotic moves unless you are into that.

My son is not playing too well, but he has learned spin drop shots, and low flat shots, he's like what 2.0 or whatever, but I pulled my leg running to get his shots today.

The thing that makes Fed so great is that he is creative, he thinks, and you can do that at any age, and it's so much more FUN.

Mcenroe answered that question, "If you are looking for someone to emulate, emulate Federer, I would love to play like him and I have 3 Wimbledons"