View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #1034
FedericRoma83
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Sedgman is very close to Gonzales in 1958, beating Gonzales in both the Wembley Pro and the big tournament in Australia, but I still have Gonzales ahead. He won the US Pro in Cleveland and the Tournament of Champions at Forest Hills, and won the world pro tour against Hoad. In 1960, Gonzales barely played any tournaments after the end of his contract with Kramer, but he dominated the world pro tour, including Rosewall, and the tour was the most important thing back then.

I have Gonzales as number 1 from 1954-1961, because he always either the very best, or never toppled as the best, throughout that whole period.
In my opinion you are overrating Tour in some years.
In 1961 the tour was missing Rosewall, so Gonzales didn't faced his direct opponent there. I mean, it was surely a big event but I think we can't say it was more important than two Pro Majors with full fields (if Rosewall was on the tour, then maybe...)
They were 2-2 on tournaments head-to-head, with Rosewall winning both the big titles. No chance for Pancho as no. 1 in 1961 in my (very) humble opinion.
In 1960 he had a strong lead against Rosewall but he retired after the tour, in my vision of tennis I can't accept a no. 1 who plays only half season, that's why I go with Rosewall in 1960 also.
In 1959 Hoad was my no. 1 beacause Pancho won the tour, but just slightly, while Hoad won many tournaments, including the biggest one, and he leads him also on head-to-head matches.
In 1958 I go with Sedgman because he won two of the four biggest events (Australian Pro, Wembley Pro), while Gonzales "only" one (ToC). The fact that he won the tour against Hoad didn't prove he was stronger than Sedgman too, in fact on tournaments head-to-head we find Sedgman leading 4-2.

Just look how tennis history change by changing the observer. You have Gonzales no. 1 for eight straight years, while I have him on top "only" four straight years (+ he is also my 1952 no. 1). On the contrary you rank Rosewall no. 1 only in 1962-63, while he is my no. 1 or co-no. 1 in 1960-61-62-63-65-70-71.

Last edited by FedericRoma83 : 01-19-2013 at 12:09 PM.
FedericRoma83 is offline   Reply With Quote