View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #54
rkelley
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaHighTennis View Post
I have to say he has a point. Players my age and younger lose to older guys who love to hack, slick, lob (constantly), super good defense, volley, etc. because the shot difference mixes them up. I get really close sets with my uncle for that reason bc while I'm slamming them corner to corner, he pops a super high lob on the baseline. He doesn't do it all the time but only when on the defense. Its a good strategy that I hope to incorporate into my game. The OLD MAN's GAME! lolol
The general gist of Mick's post seems like "one should be able to volley." OK, I'll agree with that. But I don't think this is a modern/traditional game thing. When I was playing 3.5 (C) tournaments in N. California in the late 80's most players couldn't volley, or S&V - even in doubles.

When I started playing back in the age of wood racquets I hated volleying. I learned to volley because I had this huge serve (relative to my peers at the time) that would generate these weak returns that I was unable to use to my advantage because I was standing back at the baseline. So I learned. Eventally I figured out that I could beat people like your uncle just by going McEnroe on them. You didn't have to volley very well, you just had to go up to the net, stick your racquet out, and angle off the slowish, no pace balls. An overhead took care of the lobbing.

I'm older now but I play at a significantly higher level than I did when I was younger. I think Balla's comment is right on for today's game. When someone can stand on the baseline and using modern technique rip a 70 mph forehand dtl off a decent low and deep approach, it gets a bit daunting to keep coming in. You have to pick and choose much more wisely than in the past. I often go for a lot more on my approach then I used to - using modern technique - to mostly win the point with that shot as opposed to letting the volley win the point. I've also found that because I'm willing to hit big from mid court it sets up more traditional approaches when I go that route. I still get my head ripped off some times.

So my take is that modern tennis does not mean there's no mid-court or net game. But one has to pick and choose their spots a bit more than in the past.
rkelley is offline   Reply With Quote