View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
TomT
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfox View Post
Thinking about the Heather or Laura thread going on, I began wondering which pro (current or former) is best to emulate. Let's say this is for adult rec players who just want a decent game, have fun, play matches occasionally.

It's been said that most rec players don't get beyond 3.5, but they can still aspire to more and adopt role models. Reasonable ones, and by that I mean no aspirations to hit forehands like Nadal-Fed, or serve like Sampras, or return like Agassi.

I say Chris Evert, or perhaps Mats Wilander. Both had steady groundstrokes and high percentage serving.
I think there are so many (slightly different) ways to hit good shots that it would be impossible to argue successfully for just one or two 'best' players to emulate.

I think that experimenting with, and being able to utilize, several different 'styles' is fun and can be effective at the sub 4.0 level. For higher levels of competition I would guess that it's probably necessary to nail down a particular way of hitting in order to maximize accuracy and consistency.

You mention Chris Evert. Well, she's certainly accurate and consistent, but I'm not sure that her 'U' forehand prep is the way that players are taught these days (which seems to be more in line with the 'C' prep of her opponent in the video below):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ufzAt8nfxw

Last edited by TomT : 01-19-2013 at 09:52 AM.
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote