View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
TomT
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
It ocurred to me what's missing in my tennis. Ten+ years ago I used to grind against a wall, hitting on one bounce and challenging myself to hit more and more balls before I would miss. This gave me quick feet and reaction time. Unfortunately, I can't find a decent wall to hit against anywhere near my house.

This goes back to the lack of a tennis culture in Boston. I've received cursory comments at times when I've used a ball machine at a club, or hit against a wall, or even practiced my serve. People around here see tennis as a social activity rather than a sport. Even within the tennis community it's often considered a 'social sport'. It's pretty weak. Gives me a mind to pull up stakes and move to FL or CA. I might just do that if my family didn't need me here.
Yes, move to southeast FL Muppet. I absolutely guarantee that you'll be glad you did.

I basically agree with Avles statements re strings. I've been using a 105sq.in. racquet (Babolat Y105) with syn gut strings at 54 lbs, and it's easy to hit long with that setup. I had to learn to be much less lazy in my stroking in order to keep the ball in. But now I think I'm ready to move to a smaller head racquet, say 95, strung a little tighter -- not going with poly yet though. I don't think poly is necessary at sub 4.0 levels.

Then again, if you're getting good results due to the poly, then it's hard to argue against that.

Come to think of it, I experimented with a friend's poly-strung Babolat (Pure Drive I think it was) racquet and it did seem to be quite easy to keep the ball in on high-bouncing balls to both fh and bh ... balls that I tend to hit out with my racquet-string setup unless I'm super careful to hit it just right. With the poly setup there seemed to be much more margin for error. It felt a LOT different than my setup ... in a good way.

So, maybe I should get a poly setup to work with and see what happens.

Last edited by TomT : 01-19-2013 at 11:22 AM.
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote