View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Dberger820
New User

Default Taming the power of the 2013 APD

Hello everyone,

I have searched the forums and found a wealth of information but nothing for what I am running into exactly. I apologize in advance for creating another "what string do I use" thread, but I am very new to the world of stringing and value the opinions of this board very much.

I have run into a dilemma and need the help. I have the new 2013 APD and am really starting to groove with it. I've had it for 3 weeks. When I got it, I had it strung with RPM Blast 16 @ 53# on mains and Head FXP @ 55# on crosses. This set-up is proving to be an extremely comfortable set-up and I haven't experience an ounce of the pain that is generally associated with the APD or other stiff frames. The problem lies in the fact that this is simply too powerful of a set-up and I have trouble controlling it when I hit any flatter shots or touch shots at the net.

So here is where I need your help. I understand the easiest way to tame the power would be to up the tension on the strings. But this would also, I believe, invite the physical pains everyone seems to receive from these sticks. I am not partial to either of the strings currently in my set-up. I need some opinions on what the best solution is for this. Would I be able to increase the tension of the FXP, or would that just make it more powerful? I know that RPM isn't generally known as a "power" poly, but which poly would I want to go towards that may play similar but just doesn't carry as much power? I would also love to put in a full-bed of poly, but I am worried that this too would bring some arm pain. I am not partial towards any manufacturer or brand as I am new to trying out different set-ups.

Once again, thank you very much for reading my post and giving me your opinions.