View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
suwanee4712
Semi-Pro

In Martina's 3 clay court wins I thought Martina really just played her off the court in the first two and took advantage of a bad Evert day in the third. Chris struck the ball well in the 84 French final. She began that match playing much better than she did the beginning of the 85 and 86 finals that she won. In the 87 French SF I don't think Chris was psyched up to play. Martina's start wasn't good yet Chris couldn't take advantage. After the first set Martina relaxed and cruised even when Chris started to hit the ball better.

I always agreed with Joanne Russell's take and Shriver's take on the difference between Martina's play in 84 and the two subsequent finals. In 84 Martina didn't play around. Once she got her nose in front she did what she did best by increasing the pressure. But Martina suffered from the same kind of cockiness that Boris showed on clay. They each felt they could win the French from the baseline like a true clay courter.

In 85 Martina didn't play well. Her serve was off and her approach shots were way off. Shriver said she was lucky that she wasn't playing a serve and volleyer that day or she would've lost even easier. And if you watch her SF vs. Kohde she played the same way and struggled vs. a player she always destroyed on clay. It had drama and it was a great break through for Chris. But I don't regard this as their best match in terms of quality. Neither did Mary Carillo.

I found 86 shocking. Chris had a horrid start and instead of pressuring Chris, Martina hung back in the second. She played like she thought she could beat the greatest clay courter ever on red clay from the back of the court. As Russell said, she grooved Chris' strokes for her. Once warmed up Martina could no longer attack. She got passed left and right. The last set and a half was an Evert clinic. But I still believe Martina could've/should've won that match in an hour.

Last edited by suwanee4712 : 01-19-2013 at 05:52 PM.
suwanee4712 is offline   Reply With Quote