View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #47687
Xisbum
Semi-Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Xisbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup2Dresq View Post
Xisbum,

I saw the lotto top on Ferrer and it seems to fit your style! *put sunglasses on*

Lots of yellow in this tournament, and I like them all. Even ASICS has some cool stuff on Monfils, sleeveless kind; I like the all yellow and the black with a big yellow A. Haven't seen any of the AO stuff in TW yet, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle Queen View Post
I'll mourn with you, X. Indeed, a sad week for The Game. Weaver was the consummate AL manager. I loved his Kick the Dirt routine. 'Course, he had a helluva pitching staff to make it all (generally) work.

I'm just a tad too young to have seen Mr. Musial but everything I've ever read or heard about him was 1st Class. An entire career with the same club, interrupted only by (noncombat) military service at the end of WWII and married to the same woman for seven decades (yikes! I love my hubs...but 70+ years with him? Doubt it LOL). All of that independent of the stats he put up: almost 2000 RBIs, almost 500 HR (475!) and a lifetime BA higher than .330. Granted, I had to look up the actual numbers but they are truly impressive.

Really makes me glad the Hall put no one in this time. How could any of this crop have measured up to, well, Stan The Man?

/rant over
He hit a legit .331; he wasn't one to leg out a bunch of hits, but just about everything he hit was a line drive somewhere. Had a corkscrew stance; hurts my back and legs just thinking of it. Sweet swing, though. One of the few Cardinals this old Dodgers' fan admires, although I played bridge with a kid named Hornsby in college who said his uncle was the famed Rogers Hornsby. Old Rog was way before my time, though.

I will be married to the same woman 43 years this June, so we have a ways to go to match Stan the Man in that department. Got it all figured out, though. We spent our 25th in Spain, where our son was born; plan to spend #50 there, too, and Zeus-willing, #75 also. Always plan ahead, I says.

Yeah, Palmer, Cuellar, and McNally would make a lot of managers look good, but ol' Earl could find ways to win with run-of-the-mill chunkers, too. Davey Johnson learned quite a bit from him, I think. Good to see there are others who still enjoy America's pasttime. Great game, even when it's played by millionaires.