View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
Chas Tennis
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul_SJ View Post

1)
Did your friend (with serious arthritis and meniscus tear) have surgery to repair the meniscus? or for the articular cartilage damaged by arthritis? or both? Both.

2)
When the Doctor advised him that he would likely need surgery again in a few years, what specific surgery is he referring to? to repair the meniscus again? I believe that one possibly future surgery was the artificial new joint surface but I'm not sure. Not a complete knee replacement.

3)
How long had your friend with serious arthritis and meniscus tear wait before having the surgery? Is it possible that physical therapy would have resulted in the same outcome had he given it enough time?... That seems to be what these studies of meniscal tears and concomitant arthritis are suggesting?
I told him that waiting a few months to see if the meniscus would heal is what I did with good results in 2011. He did not want to wait and had it done in a month or two after the decision. I believe that he wanted to deal with the arthritis by smoothing the articular cartilage and drilling some holes in the bone where it was worn through in hopes of stimulating some new cartilage growth. I am very uncertain of this description and the exposed bone may have been discovered during the surgery.

Also note the quote from Ollinger in the other thread:

"
You may have seen in some newpapers or magazines reports of a pretty good study recently published on this topic. Conclusion was that if you have any evidence of arthritis in the knee, a meniscus procedure is worthless."

Seems reasonable for an asymptomatic meniscus injury but not for a meniscus injury with symptoms. My meniscus injuries had sudden out-of-kilter and bone-on-bone feelings that were very distinct, acute injuries. How typical I don't know.
4)
If the surgery enabled your friend to play tennis for additional time -- something that would've been impossible with non-surgical
treatment -- it sounds like the surgery was successful.

He was happy with several months, a year?, of play until he got his second injury & operation on the other knee.

But the successful surgery would seem counter to what Ollinger is saying...
Is Ollinger's statement for asymptomaytic meniscus injuries?

The MeTeOR study dealing with this issue is a future study?

Many people have meniscus injuries that aren't causing problems as the "61%" of your first post indicates. If the damaged part of the meniscus gets in the way inside the joint in my opinion something has to be done.

Find a well qualified Dr for these issues.

Last edited by Chas Tennis : 01-19-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Chas Tennis is online now   Reply With Quote