View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #29
SystemicAnomaly
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
Does Fed bench at all? He has like zero muscle tone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sams View Post
She can build herself up as much as she wants but she'll never have the natural physical strength of a man of equal size. Federer is naturally bigger than Serena. Half a foot taller and much more natural physical strength and bone density. Bigger hands, bigger wrists, just bigger and stronger all around. He doesn't do any real weight lifting nor should he. Put him in a serous weight training routine for 6 months and he'll be benching 250lbs at least.
Altho' you don't see it in his arms, he does show some evidence of muscle tone in his shoulders, torso/core (chest and abs) and legs. His body fat % is considerably lower than Serena's. Serena's overall size of a combination of muscle size and a higher fat content (her ample mams are clear evidence of that body fat content).

Roger undoubtedly has a fairly high % of fast-twitch muscles fibers (both type IIa and type IIx). These type II fibers produce power (speed strength). They do not necessarily need to be huge to produce power. Bodybuilders will often have large muscles and can lift/press large amount of weight but will not necessarily be able to produce a lot of power. For instance they might not be able to throw a ball very hard/fast or sprint very fast either. Powerlifters or Olympic weightlifters, OTOH, have developed both power and size (but not always definition).

I may have it wrong but I thinks that type IIa fibers can be developed to increase muscle size significantly. OTOH, type IIx fibers (and the slow-twitch, type I fibers) do not increase much in size. I'm certain that this is true for type I fibers, but not absolutely sure if I've got it right for both type II fiber types.

Serena probably has a decent amount of fast-twitch fibers but her muscle fiber profile is probably not the same as Roger's. Even if she could bench press more than Roger, it seems unlikely that she can produce quite as much leg power, core power or shoulder power as Roger.
SystemicAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote