View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #2321
FedericRoma83
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmk View Post
hah, the irony of it all
accepting different opinions when opinions are close to reality/backed up by facts is one thing, another thing when someone is just way off track .....
Blah blah blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lobb View Post
Didn't Emmo whip Gonzales in Florida?
He was 8 years younger, is it so strange that he could beat him sometimes?
Gonzales won 12 matches against Emerson in the Open Era, including the biggest one. Isn't that enough?

Quote:
Oh, and lifetime: Santana won 72 tournaments, Gimeno 46. Santana 4 majors, Gimeno 1. Not even close. And Santana was great in Davis Cup.
72 tournaments, the majority of which were amateur tournaments with depleted fields, while Gimeno had to front constantly peak-Laver and peak-Rosewall in its circuit, often beating them on clay.
Gimeno was able to reach a semifinal at Wimbledon Open even if he was 33 years old at the time, Santana was one year younger but he never reached a semifinal at Wim. Open.
Gimeno also won the French 1972 and reached the semifinal in 1968. Santana never reached the semifinal at the French Open.
Anyway, Santana won Barcelona 1970, which was the best clay tournament that season, but that's not enough to put him above Gimeno in my opinion.

I'll not answer anymore on Gimeno, that's my opinion (not only mine, I think also BobbyOne considers him better than Santana and Emerson), the world is big enough for both our points of view. Bye bye.
FedericRoma83 is offline   Reply With Quote