View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #2337
NonP
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
Anyway here's some players I believe at least have some reasonable reasons to be in the top ten of all time.

Tilden
Vines
Kramer
Segura
Gonzalez
Sedgman
Rosewall
Hoad
Laver
Connors
Borg
McEnroe
Lendl
Sampras
Federer

Many on this list can easily be argued for the best ever.

Nadal may belong already but I prefer to err on the side of caution. Not sure about Novak Djokovic yet in the top ten. His peak is one of the best but again I prefer to wait.
Rafa should be in there if we're going to include anyone other than the Magnificent Seven (Tilden, Gonzales, Rosewall, Laver, Borg, Sampras & Federer).

Nole I agree is not there yet. I frankly must say, as a fan, that his peak tends to be overrated these days. I'm fairly confident that Pete & Fed had a higher gear than Novak, and that if they were to play each other in that fantasy matchup series Nole would have a losing record, however slight the margin might be. And trust me, I was one of his biggest supporters long before most of us had even heard of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyOne View Post
NonP, I'm sorry for "liar" but I have clearly shown that you have changed your mind within of a few minutes (I have quoted your words). I use to read the words of posters very carefully...
I haven't changed my tune a bit. I clearly made an additional point or two after the comment you referred to.

Quote:
Your high opinion of unfeeling Haydn shows me that you have not been impressed by classic music that much. You probably have not "understood" Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert...
Actually Hadyn is not one of my favorites, and Bach is hands down the GOAT in my book, with Mozart and Beethoven right behind (though I find much of Wolfgang's oeuvre too polite and innocuous). Schubert is somewhere in the top 10 but not in the same exalted group. Still I'd never say a composer's of Haydn's importance and invention was some kind of a second-rate mug. Same thing with Wagner whose music often bores me to tears.

Quote:
The next changing of your mind: You yet have insinuated I should change my opinion. Every reader can read your words clearly.
When you try to persuade the implicit purpose is to change the audience's opinion. When it became clear that you would not change yours I simply suggested that we agree to disagree. There was nothing muddled about my position.

Quote:
You have not understood my admiration for Rosewall. I never admired Muscles alone. I also admire Laver, Gonzalez,Roche, Tilden, Vines, Nüsslein, Kovacs, Segura, Gimeno and others. I specially admire those who are underrated by the fans and experts.
That's not what I was talking about. Anyway it's best not to get into it here, as this "discussion" has taken on a life of its own where it shouldn't have.
NonP is offline   Reply With Quote