View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #154
pc1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmk View Post
I'd say rosewall had the better BH, better return and better touch , but that's it .... better volley, nah ....rosewall's level was more consistent , but that was probably significant the most on clay ...... on other surfaces, I'd take laver's brilliance and higher level of play ...

regarding majors won... with all respect , the pro tour in 61-63 @ rosewall's peak was considerably weaker than it was in the 50s and later half of 60s ... here a single player can make more of a difference as the fields were limited ...

gonzales retiring, hoad's injuries and laver not yet in the pros ( till 62 and still getting adjusted in 63 )

again, I'm not just going to add up the amateur, pro and open majors ...
I've seen Laver and Rosewall during their playing days and I can tell you that Rosewall's volley was quite amazing. My favorite Rosewall volley was when it seemed like the ball passed him on the backhand side when somehow he seemed to hit the ball when it was slightly behind him for an angled backhand crosscourt drop shot winner. Rosewall was more solid on the forehand volley and he missed fewer volleys in my opinion.

We're talking fractions here. There's really not much difference but I can write that a tennis magazine (I think it was World Tennis) ranked Rosewall as higher than Laver on the volley in I believe a poll of the players.
pc1 is offline   Reply With Quote