View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #95
dak95_00
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
18-min or 5:48 pace as an average? Really? And you think the best times would approach 17-min (5:28 pace) or even 16:30 (5:18 pace)?

I'd have to see it to believe it. That seems like fast pacing for guys not training specifically for that. I doubt too many guys could sustain 5:30 or even 6:00 paces for 3 miles. I know your cross country athletes can do it, but they train for it. Tennis players don't.

Well, we'll never know anyway.......
Yes and here is why:
1) They are competitors! They give all they've got to win.
2) They are highly conditioned to go at anaerobic thresholds for up to 6 hours at a time (slam matches).
3) They've all done plenty of running. Like I said, my 12 y/o daughter can run a 6:15 mile and she is coming off of acl surgery. I'm 40 and was never an elite athlete and I can go out and reel off 7:30 or lower miles w/ minimal training. They are conditioned to bounce around causing different and probably harder stress on their knees, calves, feet, and ankles for long periods of time.

Given their already unbelievably conditioned bodies, I'll stick w/ my prediction. We will probably never know since they aren't going to go out and do it but I bet we could get a lesser pro or college player to do it or who already has done one to chime in.

A 5:30 mile isn't that fast for an elite athlete. There are many high school kids in every area that'll run 4:30 miles or better during track season. That is truly fast. I ran a 5:50 mile 5 or 6 years ago on my third mile of a 5k according to my Garmin. I AM NOT nor have ever been an elite athlete. I am a weekend warrior.