View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #238
10isfreak
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relinquis View Post
As a one-handed backhander i find this a very interesting discussion.

If we look at empirical evidence, is the one-handed backhand really worse?

5 of the current top 20 in the world have them (Federer, Gasquet, Almagro, Warwinka, Kohlschreiber; 6 if you make it the top 21 and include Haas); they are successful on a variety of surfaces and with different overall styles of play. I don't know if 25% of the players in their generation(s) were trained on that stroke.

Anyway, I'm just glad that people are even discussing the one-hander and hopefully there will be a better understanding of the stroke and how to use and teach it properly. We can use all the resources we can get!
The funny thing about this is that many Europeans seem to privilege the one handed backhand when they are much likelier than their American counterparts to play on red clay where bounces are peculiarly high and, rallies, likely to last.

I would like to find a single convincing argument, based upon facts, which does support the view that two handed backhands really outperform their single handed equivalent... So far, I have seen none, although I did buy into it myself over some period of time.

Now, the smoke screen has vanished and it seems like it's also an other belief which has no empirical relevance.
10isfreak is offline   Reply With Quote