View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
Mick3391
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaHighTennis View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm a pretty skinny guy who can hit a solid ball and is very fast. However, I feel that I only win matches because I'm fast. I'm not a pusher as you guys have seen my videos but do noticeably have a lack of power/significant pace in my shots. If I did isometric band workouts, would it benefit me and allow me to hit heavy balls in order to dictate rallies?
Depends on what your goals are. If they are to improve, you can't get better unless you are in great shape, mentally and physically you can't be breathing hard and expect great shots and mental formulations.

I recommend generally to be able to jog 5 miles with no problem, this gives good overall cardiovascular stamina. Then of course wind sprints.

Strength doesn't always equal power, leverage does, technique, but it's good to do everything. Only use weights if you are weak, oversize muscles need more oxygen and get tired fast.

Some of the best training is simply practicing catching tennis balls with your hand, teaches you to always watch the ball, anyways.